Saturday 8 August 2015

Pastor's pen 9th August 2015


Pastor’s pen: “Living in the Truth”

If you have had surgery in recent times and have had a Doctor take you through the risks associated with the procedure, you would recognise the use of statistics to define the chances you have of something going wrong. The language used is in 1 in 100 cases this may happen or in 1 in 1000 cases that may happen, and so on. It is so easy in such circumstances to see yourself as simply a number or a statistic which can easily lead to fear of what may happen to you. I have had these same experiences lately of hearing statistics used to outline the dangers in procedures I am or will be having. But the Lord spoke a powerful word of reassurance into me in recent times from Psalm 91:7. It reads, “A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand but it will not come near you.”

We are exposed to many facts, opinions and assumptions in life that we can be overwhelmed, even to the point of being so preoccupied with facts that we lose sight of truth. Truth, after all, is what God says and it sometimes runs counter to what is peddled as facts. This is important to recognise in our journey of faith for apart from God’s truth we have little to stand upon and we become extremely vulnerable to the fears and uncertainties of life.

I am so grateful God has quickened this truth into my spirit as I make my journey of faith through this season of trial. It has already born fruit in my faith and expectation. In a recent appointment I was again having various categories described to me of what happens to different people through the radiation treatment process. As I left the Doctor’s office I wondered to myself what category I would be in. Then the truth that God had already deposited in me, that I am not some mere statistic, rose up and fuelled my faith in God’s truth. I am not subject to the storms of fear and uncertainty because I do not belong in a category; I am safe in the hands of my Saviour and my God.

We don’t have to be facing health issues for this truth to become real for us. Stop seeing yourself as a helpless victim of circumstances and rather see yourself as God would intend; safe in the hands of the Living God. That place of security is a place we occupy by faith.
 
Ps Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment